<big snip>

I thought one of the things that Larry didn't want to do when moving towards the next big version of Perl was to change the nature of the language such that it wasn't Perl any more.

I feel that renaming a Hash to Dict would be one of those changes.

Personally, I don't find it difficult to discuss Perl hashes and a computer science "hash algorithm" with people. One of the things I like about Perl is that it doesn't presume that its coders are linguistically impaired.

A Perl program's audience - imho - should be the programmers. That it can run efficiently and well on a computer, again imho, is a side effect.

DSL