On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Mark J. Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm a believer in generalizing where possible, modulo the principles
>  of KISS and YAGNI. The latter essentially means "at least make it
>  general enough that you can extend it later without major retooling if
>  it turns out YNIAA.".  It's pretty surprising what can turn out to be
>  useful, so I've never been swayed by arguments from "what is it good
>  for?"...

Amen.  Incidentally, you'll find that that is the most common response
when a programmer is introduced to a language feature he has not seen
before.

Tell a C programmer about objects, "okay, that's cool, but what is it good for".

Tell a C++ programmer about closures, "hmm, that just seems like it
would lead to bad design".

Tell a scheme programmer about laziness, "weird, I can't see how I
would ever use that".

Luke