On 2008-Apr-13, at 4:07 am, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
I'm thinking that 'constant' is more special than other variables, and that the formal description of strong typing and static types should say that the compiler =will= implicitly get the type for $pi rather than making it Any.

Except if constants infer their type and other variables don't, that's one more special case to remember. What if there were a quick and unobtrusive way to get the type of the value instead of "Any"? Can we use a "whatever" type?

    my * $x = 12.34;        # my Num $x
    my * $y = "abc";        # my Str $y
    const * $z = $foobar;   # const Foo::Bar $z

-David