On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:00:08PM -0000, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
:
: :(:who($name), :why($reason)) := (why => $because, who => "me");
:
: What do the symbols $name and $reason refer to?  Are they names already in
scope?

That would be the intent, yes.  Mind you, it seems like something only a
crazy person would want to do, but it seems to fall out of the current
syntax, and we tend not to prevent things just to be mean.

: "Alternately, the my declarator can also force treatment of its argument as a
signature."
:
: That would be
:
: my (:who($name), :why($reason)) := (why => $because, who => "me");
:
: which declares $name and $reason, and poises them for aliasing to named
return values.  Signatures normally are used as the beginning of functions and
introduce local variables.

Yes.  We're trying to keep := binding and function binding as close
as reasonably possible, except that "my" parameters don't default
to readonly.  They're more like ref parameters, I guess.

Larry