* Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-11-21 23:55]:
> Any you could even do it in parallel:
>
>     my @status = hyper map { .io.chmod($mode) }, @files
>
> though it's possible your sysadmin will complain about what
> you're doing with the disk drive heads.  :)

Actually I/O subsystems are smart enough these days that this
might be a sensible thing to do. It would distribute to multiple
disks without much affecting the single-disk case.

Over on the git list, Linus Torvalds just implemented naïvely
threaded `stat`ing for certain cases in `git log` and `git diff`,
and people with git repositories on NFS filesystems reported
3–6-fold speedups of these commands, without the local case being
adversely affected.

</offtopic-diversion>

Regards,