On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Carl Mäsak <cma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oha (>):
>

> * Grammars define a hierarchical structure that seems to be perfect
> for encoding the packing of larger pieces of data, for example when
> serializing an object structure. Could one use grammars, or something
> very much like it, as a "modern" &pack template?

A while back we had a fairly productive conversation about matching regexes
on non-textual data:

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/msg/24f23fdfc0c5d459?hl=en

My proposal there is incomplete, but matching structured data (even if that
structure is just a sequence of non-textual bytes) using rules definitely
makes sense to me. The real question is: what is the least invasive way to
do it? Modifying nqp for this purpose would, I think, not make sense. I
think we'd need a pure Perl implementation of the rules engine that could
match either text or data, and that's a gigantic undertaking.

--
Aaron Sherman
Email or GTalk: a...@ajs.com