Tom Christiansen wrote:
Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote on Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:18:20 PDT:
I oppose this.  Underscores and hyphens should remain distinct.

That would seem to be the most human-friendly approach.

I disagree. More human friendly is "if it looks different in any way then it is different". (I am not also saying that same-looking things are equal, given Unicode's redundancy.)

Your mentioning of Unicode is poignant.  In Unicode properties, you are not
supposed to have to worry about these things.    For example, from UTS#18:

    Note: Because it is recommended that the property syntax be lenient
          as to spaces, casing, hyphens and underbars, any of the
          following should be equivalent: \p{Lu}, \p{lu}, \p{uppercase
          letter}, \p{uppercase letter}, \p{Uppercase_Letter}, and
          \p{uppercaseletter}
<snip>

Sure, but Unicode character names are a distinct issue from Perl identifiers.

Apples and oranges.

For dashes and underscores etc, the fact that they both exist distinctly in Unicode and that people consider have circumstances to use one over the other, means they are considered distinct, and we need to preserve that treating as distinct.

 -- Darren Duncan