On Thursday, September 28, 2000 10:33 PM, Perl6 RFC Librarian
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> This and other RFCs are available on the web at
>   http://dev.perl.org/rfc/
>
> =head1 TITLE
>
> New Perl Mascot
>
> =head1 VERSION
>
>   Maintainer: David Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   Date: 28 Sep 2000
>   Mailing List: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   Number: 343
>   Version: 1

I hope you guys don't mind my placing this RFC into this mailing list. A huge
portion of it surrounds licensing issues, and for lack of a perl6-animals list
this seemed the most appropriate. I've no doubt there'll be some chatter about
what symbol to use and whatnot, but I hope it's understood that my hope is for
people to accept Larry's right to choose it himself, which understanding would
keep such chatter to a minimum.

Now, the question is, is the trademarking referred to in this document contrary
to our current licensing theories? It would be a crying shame if Company X d
ecided to grab [symbol name], mutilate it, trademark it, and make their new
symbol a forced standard. It would totally kill the purpose for having it.