On Friday, October 06, 2000 11:23 AM, Simon Cozens [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:50:06AM -0500, David Grove wrote:
> > I don't know it's affiliations
>
> You know that word "independent"? Should have been a give-away, but...
>
> > but I _seem_ to recall (such a "seem" that it's about 10% away from a
guess)

> > that it's "owned" by either the independent perl mongers groups or one
> > particular one. (I haven't
>
> This is not true.

I never claimed to know, and said it was a guess. YAPC's politics, however, are
unrelated to my comments. Ignoring the comments and issues presented and
picking out things I very carefully said that I'm not completely aware of is
ridiculous if you hope to have a conversation.

> > What's to say (I'm building on a guess, here) that, if the Perl language
was

> > put into the hands of a committee, corporate interests wouldn't begin
buying

> > out its members, leaving Larry no control except as a figurehead with no
> > authority to put a halt on nonsense?
>
> ETOOPARANOID.

Why is it when I agree with you I'm correct, and when I point out _historical_
_fact_ that contradicts you I'm "paranoid"? Why is it when I make good comments
about ActiveState (what good can be said, which is not much), I'm 100% correct;
but when I point out problems that I have direct knowledge of I'm "paranoid"? I
don't think that the problem in these discussions is paranoia, but negligence
and naivete. Not only is it possible, it has already happened once. It doesn't
take paranoia to suspect wisely that it could, and most likely would, happen
again, with the only difference being that nobody could stop it without Larry
in control. It is, in fact, so likely, that it would be pure ignorance not to
foresee it happening.

I've voiced my objections and given complete and concrete evidence and examples
of why this should not happen. I think that's enough.

So, since it appears to be the goal (effect, not purposeful motive) of this
community's prominent members anyway, I'll make a counter-suggestion: let's
just assign all rights and trademarks to Microsoft and get it over with. That
way I don't have to go through the trouble of fighting against it on behalf of
a community whose leaders are so blinded by their own arrogance and complacency
to see beyond their own monitor...

and yes, that's sarcasm.