On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 08:35:04PM -0800, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> So: The _string_encoding_ state of each OP must be one of these:
>
>   0. the default -- follow each string's current encoding
>   1. "use byte"  -- all strings are one-byte
>   2. "use utf8"  -- all strings are UTF-8 (*not* necessarily Unicode!)
>
> And the _character_set_ state of each OP must one of these:
>
>   0. the default  -- characters are Latin-1, UTF-8 is Unicode
>   1. "use locale" -- characters are $ENV{LANG} (set at runtime)

Too complicated, very few advantages (if any).

It was discussed already (and many times).  Results as I remember
them: locale-ness should be addressed during i/o operations (here i/o
is understood in wide sense).  `use locale' (or better, its
equivalent) should better forget about C locales.  This is better be
just a hint for (default?) i/o conversions to Unicode.

Now: please look around.  What nice properties of your favorite locale
will be lost by interpreting it as a hint to Unicode conversion?

Ilya