According to Larry Wall:
> Chip Salzenberg writes:
> : So: The _string_encoding_ state of each OP must be one of these:
> :   0. the default -- follow each string's current encoding
> :   1. "use byte"  -- all strings are one-byte
> :   2. "use utf8"  -- all strings are UTF-8 (*not* necessarily Unicode!)
> There is no 2.

<reads perllocale.pod>
Oh.
I have shamed p5p by not R'ing TFM.
For penance, I shall re-implement Perl in C++.

> I would actually like to avoid locales if at all possible.

I'm allowed to drop only deprecated features.  Should C<use locale> be
documented as being, eventually, doomed?  Or shall we just mention it
in the release notes?  }:-)

> :   use charset 'iso10646';  == force ISO 10646 (Unicode superset)
> Not really a superset anymore, unless you're into defining your own
> characters outside of U+10FFFF.

I don't understand... Could someone point me to a description of the
current Unicode <-> ISO 10646 relationship?

> I think if we ever do support fixed-width wide characters in Perl
> internally, we might just jump straight to 32 bits.

"SUBSCRIBE"
--
Chip Salzenberg          - a.k.a. -           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        "He's Mr. Big of 'Big And Tall' fame."  // MST3K