According to Jarkko Hietaniemi:
> The only clean way I see out of the locale mess is to replace them
> with a clean *Perl-specific* API ...

I'll do you one better:

We create Locales The Way They Should Have Been as a library with
complete bindings for at least C, C++, Perl, Java, and (your favorite
language here).  I'm sure that some existing project has something we
could build.  Perl can be the primary guinea pig.

Then comes the good part: We release the library.  It becomes a de
facto standard throughout the software world.  We thus eradicate the
horror of ANSI locales from the collective memory of the net.

"To dream the impossible dream...."

PS: It's been done once before, with time zones.
--
Chip Salzenberg          - a.k.a. -           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        "He's Mr. Big of 'Big And Tall' fame."  // MST3K