On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 09:21:04AM -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> It should be noted that over in Java-land, UTF-16 is more or less the
> native dialect, and UTF-8 is a royal pain in the butt to deal with.  Sigh.

I was just reading up on the Java Native Interface and there they don't
talk about UTF-16, but only about their own version of UTF-8 (sigh).
So it's not as bad as it seems when interfacing with C.

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jni/spec/types.doc.html#16542

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed