On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 07:53:46PM +0200, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>  > > The only clean way I see out of the locale mess is to replace them
>  > > with a clean *Perl-specific* API: what I mean by this is that Perl
>  > > distribution itself would contain the necessary locale definitions
>  > > (collation, numeric and date formatting, character classes (from
>  > > Unicode), et cetera), and the perl core would then use those
>  > > definitions.
>  >
>  > All we need is mapping byte => unicode.  All the rest can be deduced
>  > by some C tests, right?
>
> The whole Perl 5 is "deduced by some C tests"... :-)  Please be more
> specific in your proposal(?).

The stuff to-do-by-hand is the tables I mentioned.  After you know
them, you can convert any locale-specific rules to Unicode.

Say, to collate 'foo1bar' where f o b a r are locale-representable
Unicode chars, and 1 is not: convert foo to locale, collate, same with
bar.  Keep '1' AS IS, sorting above any locale-accessible stuff.

Is it more clear now?

Ilya