According to Bennett Todd:
> Pretty much any really worthwhile file-move support, intended to be
> an improvement over delete/create, could force CVS to abandon it's
> current representation using stock RCS files [...]

Well, it's pretty obvious when you consider why Windows has to reboot
to install DLLs.

Windows doesn't have inodes.  So Windows can't cope with a separation
between name and identity.  Unix, on the other hand, is entirely happy
to have N different files open simultaneously, all of which may have
shared a common name at some point.

CVS has an analogous dependency on filename indicating identity.  More
advanced systems like ClearCase track file identity separately from
filename, allowing easy and natural support for renaming files.

In other words:

  CVS is to ClearCase as Windows is to Unix.

<donning asbestos>
--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>