Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Michael G Schwern:
> > ClearCase is great and all, but its bloody expensive.
>
> Yeah.  And if only there were a free version ...  Shoot, maybe that's
> what I'll do when I'm done with Topaz.

I honestly don't see the point in that.

CVS is a good default VCS.  Seeing how many developers have gone so very
long without any real version control, CVS is a godsend, even with all
of its warts, flaws and limitations.  Calling it garbage, comparing it
to Windows and such is really counterproductive.  Sure, it tops out when
you try and push the envelope.  Sure it has problems scaling.  But it
serves as a valueable "starter" VCS, a lingua franca that anyone can use
(and probably has used if they've moved to BitKeeper, Perforce or ClearCase),
and a quite reasonable baseline for VCS today.

Now, if you want a free ClearCase, start lobbying the vendor.

If you want a better CVS than CVS, there are already products out
there that are free and possibly Open Source.

Making Topaz++ a better Topaz would be a more worthwhile goal.

> > PS Has anyone experience with Bitmover?
>
> That would be BitKeeper ... and no, I haven't used it yet.

I'm pretty sure that BitKeeper is free for Open Source projects.  I
imagine BitMover would be quite happy to drop BitKeeper on sourceforge
for anyone who wants it, if only because of the marketing value.

http://www.bitkeeper.com
http://www.bitmover.com

-- Adam