At 01:42 PM 4/5/00 -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>According to Dan Sugalski:
> > VMS doesn't have those silly limitation.
>
>I could have sworn that Perl's test suite needed to be very careful to
>e.g. not rename a file while it's open under VMS... ?

Nope. Go ahead and do what you like to a file--rename, delete, mock
incessantly--it works. Maybe you were thinking of the windows stuff? (We
can open a file by our equivalent of an inode, *with* full access control,
too. Nyah! :) You may need some jacked privileges depending on who owns the
file and who's got it open, but the name and file are only losely coupled
in VMS.

It's not hugely common, mind, but I do it occasionally.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk