Being somewhat experienced in the current battlefields of Configure
and Makefiles (and all the different makes, let's not forget that)
I'll cast my vote for Cons, too.

Let's be as deeply committed to Perl as we possibly can, that way we
can make our own rules, instead of having to bend over backwards,
while juggling a chainsaw, an electric eel, and a blowtorch.  My
advice is also not even to spit at the general direction of GNU
configure/automake, it's just another morass, and theyt similarly (to
Configure) assume very UNIXish shell environment.  The more
independent (os-agnostic) we are, the better.

And yes, I would make building out of the source directory a
requirement.  That will also give us some ammunition for doing
cross-compilation.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen