On Mar 31, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Tom Browder
<tom.brow...@gmail.com<mailto:tom.brow...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Thursday, March 31, 2016, Elizabeth Mattijsen
<l...@dijkmat.nl<mailto:l...@dijkmat.nl>> wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2016, at 14:12, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> Liz, it's a simple reader of a text file.  The only line processing is a
> print of the number of characters of each line.  I guess I should eliminate
> that but I assumed that was neglible since all the reader scripts do the same.

I wonder.  I wouldn’t be surprised if not printing number of chars would make a
significant difference.

I'll try turning any line processing off, but note the Perl 5 reader does the
same thing.

Best,

-Tom

Just to note, I have also seen dramatic differences in IO between Perl 5 and
Perl 6, simply iterating through large files (in this case DNA sequence data)
by line w/ no processing.

Chris