Hm, I left out what are probably the most important parts.

1. The number one complaint I hear about CPAN is more or less the same
story I just told about trying to buy a radio.

2. We organize finding stuff for engineers --- the folks who work with the
parts. We don't do very much for the folks who want to use the finished
products.

This is not a problem that will be fixed with better automated
organization. It can be fixed by curation --- but only if we don't make the
same mistake by hand. Someone (or dedicated team, more likely), needs to
come up with a good package index by use case, leaving out the pieces-parts.