On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 2:34 AM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

> I see ":truncate".  This seems liek it will do the trick.
> Problem: I would like to read from the file first before
> truncating (ro).
>
> Is there a way to do this, or should I
>    1) open the handle with :ro
>    2) read what I want from it
>    3) close the handle
>    4) reopen the handle with :w and overwrite what I want?

You have to do it the long way. I don't think we expose a binding to
ftruncate() that would let you open it r/.w, red from it, truncate, and
write.

That said, there's actually a good reason for that: is it okay to trash the
file if something goes wrong? You might prefer to *rename* the old file
instead of overwriting, so you can recover if necessary.

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net