On 10/01/2017 01:32 AM, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
Remember also that Larry Wall - perl's "inventor" - is a linguist, and the use
of language in perl6 space in particular reflects that.

Hi Richard,

Hmmmmmm.  That does explain its ease of use over other languages.
I really liked Perl 5, although the sub parameters were
a bit of a nightmare.  I *** adore *** Perl 6.

I still have to do some things in P5 , whilst I
wait for the modules in Perl 6 to catch up.

'Interpolate' derives its meaning from the Latin roots 'between' and 'alter or polish'. In maths, you can 'interpolate' a result between known values. But in perl you put the value of one type of value between other text. So if $s='one two three', then the value of "<<<$s>>>" is '<<<one two three>>>'. The value of $s is interpolated into the text. There is nothing strange or unusual for this usage.

On no.  I said Brandon was using it correctly.  I just found
the usage of "interpolate" to be fascinating. Most of the time,
the word is not used in that fashion.

When I see "interpolate" used in Perl, I will think "insert".
(Doesn't help that years ago, I was doing matrix math to
calculate formulas to model high frequency parts in radio
designs.  A lot of "interpolation" was going on.)

You might try other sources, which give more information.
'Wordnik' seems a strange source, given that 'word' is English, and '-nik' is a Russian/Slavic suffix for a person that does something.

Worknik is compiling from other sources.

The ones I quoted from were from:

    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
    4th Edition
and
    Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

They do a really good job of compiling and explaining things.
Go look at the link.  You will see what I mean.  Especially
look at the examples.  They are marvelous.

   http://www.wordnik.com/words/interpolate

       For every (x, y) point in the original image, modify
       its x coordinate through a forward transform, and then
       determine where it is relative to the estimated lines,
       and linearly interpolate the y coordinate.

       For minor intervals I'd just interpolate from the
       nearest major/perfect.

       Inkscape has a similar tool called "interpolate", which
       produces lovely lines by "blending" two separate lines
       into one flowing shapes.

I could not find an "insert" example.

Oh and this is fascinating.  The graph makes it extremely easy
to understand!  "Insert" is one of them.

        http://www.freethesaurus.com/interpolate

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.