Neat! Just read the Proxy class doc at https://docs.perl6.org/type/Proxy

Instead of hooking into any accessor magic, this solution creates a Proxy
object that lives inside the "a" method. Every time you use the "a" method,
it generates a new Proxy object, which will either set or retrieve the $!a
attribute from the A object.

Two minor quibbles, and since I'm not the author or user, take them with a
grain of salt:

 " $.a if you want to be able to assign with .new "  - in that case, $!a
won't go through the modifications.

class A {
    has $.a;
    method a() {
        Proxy.new(
          FETCH => { $!a },
          STORE => -> $, $value { $!a = $value * 2 }
        )
    }
}
my $a = A.new(a => 23);
dd $a.a;   # 23

$a.a = 34;
dd $a.a;   # 68

A way to fix that, is to have the STORE function be a named routine that
both the proxy object & a TWEAK submethod can use, as each sets $!a.

The other quibble, is that it creates and discards the proxy object with
each call. (Not at all a problem functionally and likely not anything that
would affect performance either.) Here's a demo

class A {
    has $!a;
    method a() {
    say "baking a new Proxy object for class A";
        Proxy.new(
          FETCH => { $!a },
          STORE => -> $, $value { $!a = $value * 2 }
        )
    }
}

my $a = A.new(); # no output