A tip to share.
I work a lot with downloaded web pages. I cut
out things like revision numbers and download
One of the things that use to drive me a bit nuts was that
web pages can come with all kind of weird line terminators.
I'd wind up with a link location that bombed because
there was some weird unprintable character at the end.
Now there are routines to chop off these kind of things,
but they don't always work, depending on what the weird
What I had done in the past as to dump the page to a file
and use a hex editor to figure out what the weird character
was. I have found ascii 0, 7, 10, 12, 13 and some other weird
ones I can't remember. They often came is combinations too.
Then cut the turkey out with a regex. It was a lot of work.
Now-a-days, it is easy. I just get "greedy" (chuckle).
I always know what end of the string should be: .zip,
.exe, .rpm, etc.. So
$Str ~~ s/ ".zip" .* /.zip/;
$ p6 'my $x="abc.zip"~chr(7)~chr(138); $x~~s/ ".zip" .* /.zip/; say
Problem solved. And it doesn't care what the weird character(s)
at the end is/are.
Hope this helps someone else. Thank you for all the
help you guys have given me!