Hi,

I use Perl 6 all the time, wherever I can. But for some things I do, I can't use Perl 6, for example Android apps, or embedded chip programming.

I have used a number of languages, starting with Fortran and assembler, then Pascal, Snobol, C and recently Java and php.

Perl 6 can be used for light scripts with untyped variables and built in operators, or for 'heavy' code with typed variables and full scale objects. It is a very readable language.

Whenever I have to move away from Perl 6 to another 'more popular' language, I end up cursing its stupidity or endless repetitions of the same names before actually writing meaningful code.

A lot of modern programming is more about infrastructure than the language itself. Who would actually want to write Java if Android or Apple apps did not force the issue? Ditto javascript and client side web programming. Ditto Basic for things like Office-type applications like spreadsheets and word processors. PHP for server side programming.

I have tried Python, but wherever it was needed I could use Perl, and now Perl 6.

Just as Perl regular expressions have been adopted in other languages, so too I think that Perl 6 grammars, Junctions, hyper operators, 'with' statements (flow control based on definiteness rather than truthiness) will find their way into other languages.

So yeah, I actually use Perl 6.

finanalyst