On 2020-03-10 22:55, Shlomi Fish wrote:
Speaking of trivia, and off topic, did you know that
√2 caused a major religious upheaval when the result
of a 1,1,√2 triangle came out?  The poor Pythagoreans:
all numbers had to be rational.  Hippasus even
got murdered for blowing the whistle on √2.

Seehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippasus  for what we more accurately know
about that.

Hi Shlomi,

That is a trip down memory lane!

More years ago that I like to admit, wrote a college
paper on the Pythagoreans.  The only real thing I
really remember about it is the "Harmony of the Spheres"
(Musica universalis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_universalis

I don't know how I ever got a A on the paper.  The
stuff on Wikipedia is 20 times better than anything
I wrote.

Thank you for sharing!

-T