From: yary <not....@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 8:39 PM
To: William Michels <w...@caa.columbia.edu>
Cc: Marc Chantreux <e...@phear.org>; raku-users <perl6-users@perl.org>
Subject: Re: [better solution] pairs of separators from a string

CAUTION - EXTERNAL:

Hi Bill,

When building a range that's an arithmetic or geometric progression, the
sequence operator is a little quicker to type. And thus also more likely to be
understood more quickly too.

> ('a' .. 'h')[(0..*-1).grep: * %% 2 ]
(a c e g)
> ('a' .. 'h')[ 0, 2 ... * ]
(a c e g)

> ('a' .. 'h')[(0..*-1).grep: * % 2 ]
(b d f h)
> ('a' .. 'h')[1, 3...*]
(b d f h)

# Geometric example- powers of 2
> ('a' .. 'z')[1, 2, 4...*]
(b c e i q)

There isn't a simple translation for the is-prime example that I can think of,
that is a good use for "grep"

Ranges also support arbitrary functions, the doc page shows a Fibonacci number
generator
https://docs.raku.org/language/operators#index-entry-sequence_operator
"This allows you to write

say 1, 1, * + * ...^ *>= 100;
# OUTPUT: «(1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89)␤»

to generate all Fibonacci numbers up to but excluding 100."

-y

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 6:36 PM William Michels via perl6-users