On 8/30/22 07:45, Parrot Raiser wrote:
Surely Jonathan Worthington (or one of the other people who've worked
on the compiler) would be in a better position to answer this sort of
question.

Assuming that you write in a normal "interpreted-language" style,
(i.e. gradually adding features, testing, and moving on to the next
one, do you notice any sudden changes, or is the increase linear? That
might provide clues to any weak spots.

How large are the programs that invoke these long compiles?

See the data I reported over on

  https://github.com/perl-foundation-outreach/gsoc-2021-ideas/issues/4

The program also calls out six custom modules, the
largest of which is 12K. The smallest is 1.4 K.
And they are all loaded in .precomp.

What I am really after is knowing if the "slows"
is just technically the nature of things or is
it a case of lack of time, resources, and/or
volunteers.

This would assist in my long term planning.