ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Last month, millions of Indonesians flocked to the polls for
that nation's first truly open election since 1955.

Election observers, including former President Jimmy Carter,
commended the orderly and apparently fair manner in the vote
for members of a new parliament.

FORMER PRESIDENT CARTER:
I don't have any indication, no evidence yet, I don't even have
any allegations coming to me from any of the major party
officials, that such illegalities have been perpetrated or that
the ultimate outcome of the will of the Indonesian people
has been subverted.

CARTER: A WARNING ABOUT CREDIBILITY

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
But Carter was among those warning that the credibility of the
election process could be damaged if it took too long to count
the votes, not just in big cities like the capital, Jakarta, but in
the 14,000 islands that make up the Indonesian archipelago.

The elections were part of a package of reforms promised last
year by Indonesia's new president B.J. Habibie. He came to
power after weeks of massive demonstrations that brought an
end to 33 years of authoritarian rule by President Suharto.
Habibie also inherited an economy shattered by the financial
crisis that hit East Asia in 1997. Hundreds of thousands of
Indonesians who had risen from poverty to middle class status
lost jobs and found themselves falling back into lives of hunger
and unemployment. Many had taken out their anger at Suharto,
who was accused to enriching his family and friends with
so-called "crony capitalism."

Habibie's reforms for this country of 212 million people included
promising a free press, allowing the formation of opposition
political parties and holding democratic elections. The press has
become vocal and spirited and two major political groups, as well
as smaller parties, rose up to challenge the ruling Golkar party in
the elections.

And the 500-member parliament was supposed to combine with
200 provincial leaders in a people's consultative assembly that
would choose a new president later in the year.

HABIBIE: INDONESIA SHOULD EMBRACE DEMOCRACY

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH: On election day Habibie urged all
parties to embrace the democratic process and respect the
results of the ballot.

B. J. HABIBIE, Indonesian President:
In every game there's a winner and loser, and the party that wins
should act with nobility and think of the responsibility it has over
the next five years.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
But one month after the elections, only sixty percent of the votes
have been tallied. Final results were due today, were once again
postponed, this time until July 21.

Based on the official count so far, the principal opposition party
known as the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle is ahead
with 36% of the vote. Its leader is Megawati Sukarnoputri-- the
daughter of Indonesia's former president Sukarno, who lead the
struggle against Dutch colonialism and who was ousted by
Suharto in a bloody coup in 1965 in which thousands were killed.

Habibie's party -- the Golkar Party -- is running a distant second
with 20 percent of the vote.

Forty-six other parties, including several Muslim groups in this
overwhelmingly Muslim nation, share the remaining vote.

Officials said the counting was complicated by Indonesia's
sprawling geography. But opposition groups raised accusations
of corruption and vote tampering, and that has led to violence.

Last Thursday, fifteen hundred protesters in Jakarta hurled rocks
and demanded that the ruling Golkar Party be disqualified. Police
moved in, firing shots and using tear gas to control the crowd.
About two dozen people were wounded.

The next day heavily armed police suppressed demonstrators
who tried to march on the election commission headquarters.
And Indonesia is also facing violence in East Timor.

THE EAST TIMOR QUESTION

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Habibie had promised a referendum on autonomy or
independence for residents of East Timor, a former Portuguese
colony that Indonesia seized in 1975. A vote was scheduled
but then postponed by U.N. election monitors because of
violence.

Last week, there were several attacks on U.N. election officials
by militias, which have also attacked pro-independence leaders.
Some say the militias are armed by the Indonesian military, which
still has responsibility for overall security in East Timor.

At least twelve U.N. workers have been injured, and U.N. officials
said the violence could derail the referendum.

Yesterday the head of the U.N. mission in East Timor demanded
that Indonesia rein in the militias. U.N. Secretary General Kofi
Annan is expected to announce a final decision on the East Timor
ballot date within the next few days.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
For more on all this, we turn now to
Paul Wolfowitz, U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia during the Reagan

Administration-- he was in Indonesia last month observing the
elections for the Carter Center and the National Democratic
Institute;

Donald Emmerson, Professor of Political Science and Southeast
Asian studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison -- he too
was an election observer last month; and

Sidney Jones, executive director of Human Rights Watch Asia--
she was last in Indonesia in February, and has been there
frequently over the past 20 years.

Ambassador Wolfowitz, what has the election process so far told
us about Indonesia now a little more than a year after Suharto was
forced out?

THE ELECTION PROCESS: A GOOD SIGN?

PAUL WOLFOWITZ:
Well, I think the basic news is still extremely good in spite of all
the disturbing indications that were included in your introduction.
The fact is the fourth largest country in the world on June 7,
demonstrated in a powerful and impressive way the deep desire
of the Indonesian people for democracy, their determination to
make it work, their determination to make it work in a peaceful
fashion. These elections were extraordinarily peaceful, much
more peaceful than the last rigged elections under the old regime.

So, it's a very good start, and I think potentially very important both
for solving Indonesia's problems but also if Indonesia ultimately
succeeds in becoming the world's third largest democracy, it will
have, I think, a big influence on the rest of Asia and the rest of the
Muslim world. It will be one of the first democracies in the Muslim
world. But the problem is not just the slowness of the vote count.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
And by the way, let me interrupt before you go on. Why, briefly,
is it so slow?

PAUL WOLFOWITZ:
I think it is more because the country is so vast, because the
procedures were so quickly put together and frankly, because
in many cases, when there are disputes about the vote count,
they laboriously go back and check the differences and work
on them. The fact is that while only 60 percent of the vote may
be officially counted through very effective sampling procedures,
constructed by an organization put together by the rectors of
the major universities, everyone has a reasonably good idea
of what the final vote count is going to look like.

The problem is that it split up among roughly six major parties.
And the key is going to be, I believe, for Megawati Sukarnoputri,
who will end up with something like 35 percent of the vote, which
makes her the very clear leader in this election but that by itself
is not enough to establish a government with broad popular support.
She and other parties, and I think it has to be the parties that
represent this overwhelming desire for change and reform, need
to be able to put together a government. The sooner they can get
on with that, the sooner some of the problems of unrest that were
mentioned in your introduction I think can be dealt with more
effectively.

REFORM AND CHANGE.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Donald Emmerson, what's your view on what the elections so far
have shown us about reform and change?

DONALD EMMERSON:
I agree with Paul that I think we should be grateful that election
day was remarkably peaceful. It's important to remember that
a lot of people expected major violence to occur.

Nevertheless, the real problem is when an election is effective, it
has to deliver. And the delays make the delivery, they push it off
until sometime perhaps as late as November. We might not know
until then who the next president of Indonesia is going to be. And,
as Paul implied, the extraordinary complex and cumbersome
system that Indonesia is now saddled with means that there are
238 seats in the 700-member constituent assembly - the people's
consultative assembly -- that are not directly elected at all.

And, therefore, if you get all of those 238 seats, you only need as
little as quarter of the seats that were directly elected on the 7th of
June in order to get an absolutely majority in the assembly and
become president. Now, a lot of people worry that in the backrooms
of Jakarta, as politicians maneuver to try to make coalitions to put
together that winning number of 351 seats, the election which
appears to have been won by Megawati is going to be lost to
somebody else, conceivably even Habibie.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
And, Sidney Jones, just briefly, what do you think about what
this show is about?

And then tell us a little about Megawati. I understand she is
called by one name, as many Indonesians are.

SIDNEY JONES:
That's right. I think it is important to underscore that the longer this
goes on, the more dangerous it will be, because it's as though all
the rest of Indonesia on hold. Nobody is paying attention to the
economy in a systematic way. Nobody is paying attention to the
building unrest in the regions. East Timor is going to hell in a hand
basket. We've got Aceh on the northern tip of Sumatra erupting.
We have got violence breaking out in other places in a way that
has nothing to do with the election. So, unless this is resolved
soon - and I think somebody is going to have to declare closure
quite quickly - I think we could see much of the good that's been
done come unraveled.

WHO IS MEGAWATI?

SIDNEY JONES:
As far as Megawati is concerned, she is someone who came into
political prominence in 1993, mostly on the basis of her father's
name. She had a reputation as being someone who was clean and
uncorrupt, which in itself was a major departure in Indonesia. She is
somebody who is-- represents nostalgia for her father who was seen
in some cases, misguidedly, as being someone who supported the
little guy. He was a populist and she's a populist. Appealing to the
lower urban classes, people who have nothing and think that if she
comes to power, she will deliver and so on. And, yet, she has said
nothing. She has no political program. She's a figurehead in some
ways who has maintained her support by being absolutely silent and
not saying anything about what she intends to do if, in fact, she does
become president. She's got people in her close circle of advisors who
are very good but represent radically different streams of thinking, so
she's got one person who supports, for example, a fixed exchange
rate. She's got somebody else who supports a floating exchange rate.
She is somebody who doesn't want East Timor to become independent.
And yet she appeals to many intellectuals and people in the Jakarta
urban elite who would like to see a free and fair referendum in East
Timor. So, nobody has a clue what's going to happen.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Ambassador Wolfowitz, do you want to add anything to that?

PAUL WOLFOWITZ:
I think it's true that Megawati articulated very few policy positions in
this campaign. But she did very clearly for two things:

Number one, she stood for change. And change means a broad desire
of the Indonesian people to have a government that isn't corrupt, that
doesn't abuse power. In fact, if you combine her votes with those of
Abdurrahman Wahid's party which also stood for change, and Amien
Rais's party, which also stood for change.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Those are both Muslim parties.

PAUL WOLFOWITZ:
Well, actually Amien Rais's party is not a Muslim party, although
he himself was a major Muslim figure. And Abdurrahman Wahid is
a major Muslim figure, but all three of these people - I think this is
important -not only stood for change but stood against those people
who said politics should be determined by religion, that Indonesians
should be divided. Megawati's standard stump speech was, I'm not
a Javanese; I'm an Indonesian. And even though she was criticized
by some quarters for not being Islamic enough, the millions of
people who voted for her, are almost all overwhelmingly Muslims.
So, there is a basis there to put something together.

I agree absolutely the longer this goes on, the greater the danger is.
As I'm told, taxi drivers in Jakarta say the whole process will catch
a cold or get pneumonia. The key isn't getting the ballots counted
faster because that by itself won't resolve it, and the key is not
going into back room deals and consultative assembly ultimately.
I think the real key is for those three leaders I mentioned who really
do have between the three of them, a great mandate for change and
perhaps some other people from other parties to put together the
makings of a government of national unity, which includes deciding
who will have what positions, but also resolving some of these
outstanding issues of policy -- not all of them but at least a few
of the major ones.

SIDNEY JONES:
But the problem again is the longer it goes on, the more there's
room for the opposition and manipulation to build so that Paul
mentioned that there was a growing movement to deny Megawati
the presidency on the ground that she's a woman and a woman
shouldn't be a president in a Muslim country. Now, that's been flatly
rejected as an argument by some of the key Muslim leaders.

PAUL WOLFOWITZ:
And also by the military.

SIDNEY JONES:
It's a sentiment that's held. But just now, just today, there was
a bill introduced to say that only a president could be in power
if they had a college education which Megawati doesn't have.
And it seems as though people are looking for ways to almost
pull this process which is very fragile but thus far, very positive
apart in ways that could be disastrous unless, as I say, it comes
to closure quite quickly.

THE EAST TIMOR ISSUE

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Donald Emmerson, we don't have a lot of time, but would you
fit the situation of East Timor into this overall picture?

DONALD EMMERSON:
 Frankly, I think the alarm that Sidney strikes is perhaps
a especially relevant to East Timor. I'm more optimistic about
the political process in Indonesia as whole. But East Timor
is an extraordinarily volatile place at the moment. We have clear
evidence that elements within the Indonesian military have for
some time now been supporting, even supplying arms to militias,
as they're called, that have engaged in considerable violence,
including killing people, that is people who support independence
because they are dead-set against it and would like to keep East
Timor inside Indonesia. And let's remember also that there are a
fair number of Indonesian military officers that have fought in East
Timor. Some of them have married East Timorese wives. They have
property in East Timor.

I interviewed a general who is a reform-minded person when it
comes to democratization for his own country, Indonesia, but
who absolutely draws the line -- no independence for East Timor.
One of the things that I worry about is that as the East Timor
situation continues to unravel, it could reconnect with politics in
Jakarta in a rather nasty way. If there were to be a president who
came to power in Jakarta who wanted East Timor to become
independent, or at least who was willing to tolerate it, the question
is, would the army go along? I'm not sure.

SIDNEY JONES:
I think there's another key question which is, one of the questions
is, why is the army backing the militias at this stage? It's not just
because they serve there. It's because some leading people in
Jakarta, leading officers see East Timor as the first in a series
of dominoes and believe this if this U.N. mission, which is in
East Timor to supervise a referendum, is allowed to succeed
and if the East Timorese people do vote for independence,
that that will start a chain toward the disintegration of Indonesia.

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
Which has always been the fear, right?

SIDNEY JONES:
Yes. And hook up with rebellions in Aceh and the tip of North
Sumatra in Irianjaya, which is the Indonesian part of the island of
New Guinea, and so on. Now, I think it's not the case -

ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH:
I have to interrupt. I'm sorry. I have to interrupt you. We're out
of time for this. But thank you all very much.

Kirim email ke