On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 08:55, C Bobroff wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/farsitools/farsifonts-0.2.zip?download
>
> The first sourceforge attempt DID download but was unusable. I had
> to make use of the "Your download should begin shortly. If it does not,
> try ....," then it was ok. Maybe other people are having problems too?

So you got the file after all, I assume?

> Poor Homa has those zeroes which get confused with the 5! (Not your
> problem, though!)

The zeros are not that big. I'm sure people experienced with the script
won't have problems.

On a separate note, you should see Mosahab's Persian Encyclopedia
(orignially published in 1345, reprinted with a few corrections by
AmirKabir in 1380, ISBN 964-303-044-X). To avoid ambiguity problems with
a dot, a middle dot, a five, and a degree sign, he uses a big European
zero in Perian contexts. ("۱۲۳0" and things like that, if your mailer
reads UTF-8.) Dr Masoumi-Hamedani, from the Persian Academy, has told me
that it was Mosahab's work that convinced everyone they should use
hollow zeros in Persian. Of course the prefernce is with a small hollow
zero. Just big enough to make the hollowness show.

> I'm thinking you should widen the space in Koodak some more. Try typing
> Reh+Kaf+space+Reh+Kaf.

The Reh and Kaf problem is a kerning issue. We will be trying to solve
that after our first stable release (1.0).

> I was going to complain about the diacritics being too far from the
> letter they're supposed to be accompanying but if I switch to Nafees
> Naskh, I don't see too much improvement.

That will also be improved after 1.0.

> Perhaps it's the OS's fault, not the font's.

It's usually the font's. Depends on the OS, of course. To get a font
working on both Win9x and WinXP, you'll need to redo the work and have
two tables in the font, one for each. We will go with the new way of
course.

roozbeh