Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Ali A. Khanban wrote:

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 18:14, AmirBehzad Eslami wrote:

But don't you think shape of U+066C is very similar to sign of 'foot'
and 'minute'?
(http://students.washington.edu/irina/persianword/afgDecSep.JPG)

Depends on the font. Compare with
<http://www.bamdad.org/~roozbeh/thsep.png>, for example.

I know it is kind of personal preferences, but I was wondering whether a
right-faced comma-shaped character is suitable for the thousand
separator. I read from right to left when I see such glyph. Because
numbers are written and read from left to right, maybe a 180 rotation to
this character makes it more suitable.

It's a valid point. But I prefer it mirrored, not rotated.

behdad

Mirrored is even better. It is more similar to the way I usually separate them in handwriting. Put the pen on a paper and then move it to the top and left, a natural number separator! Don't ask me for references, but I have seen many old people who use such a symbol for separating the thousands.

Best
-khanban-