On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 16:43, Mostafa Modirrousta wrote:
> Would anyone please elaborate on what Pango
> (http://www.pango.org/index.shtml) is? I just saw a picture of how it
> treats Farsi and would that somehow let's more easily use Farsi under
> Linux than Chapdiz (sorry, forgot the exact name of that live-cd
> knoppix apted for Farsi)?

Pango is GNOME and GTK+'s text rendering engine for various languages
and scripts. Shabdix is based on KDE, which uses Qt instead of Pango.

The level of Persian support for Qt and Pango is different. I don't
follow the Qt development anymore (but I heard that it had a bug with
handling ZWNJ that Behdad Esfahbod fixed just recently), but Pango is
undergoing a good rewrite of its Arabic script module to support all the
complications of Persian. Currently, there are a few bugs with handling
Harakat (Fatha, ...) there.

A few Pakistani students have also started working on Pango to make it
support Nastaliq (which is sometimes a requirement for Urdu) properly.

roozbeh