On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 12:32, Ebadat A.R. wrote:
> Hi,
> I think putting Dictionaries on the web needs a special license .

What about putting dictionaries in a public library? Is this not the
same issue? What is the difference between a physical copy in a very
crowded libary and a web service?

I am trying to list some (with differing opinions in parentheses):

1) In a library, only one person can use the dictionary at a certain
moment; in other words, word lookups can't happen simultaneously, and
should happen by some delay. (But that is also true about the online
dictionary: the CPU can only serve one request at a certain time. The
two users will definitely have some difference on when they get the info
if they request it at the same time.)

2) In a library, there is a physical presence requirement. (How is that
supposed to be important? Does that also mean you may put such a
software on your intranet but not the internet? If yes, what is the
exact legal difference?)

3) A library is an old notion, by selling a paper copy of the
dictionary, the copyright holder knows the maximum possible extent how
it may get shared in a library previously, but it's another scenario
when you put the information online. (I can't find anything against
that.)

>  Buying a
> software means you are getting license to use this software as it is. There
> is no license for presenting this software on the web.

But we are not talking about software here. Information is different
from software. It really depends on how you define software. Is an MS
Word document software?

And of course, buying a piece of software does not necessarily mean that
"you are getting license to use this software as it is". It depends very
different things depending on the license. I won't go into details, as
this is off-topic.

roozbeh