I remember there was a "case study" about "murder" or "accidental death" supposing this:
You hold firmly your sharp sword that you happen to have, out of your apartment window and at the same time someone throws himself out of his apartment window, many story above, with the intention of committing suicide. He falls on your sword and gets cut in half. Is it a murder or suicide?! That case study concluded that it IS murder.
I personally conclude that it is funny!

Iran was never a signatory of international copyright convention (or whatever its name is). The idea was that in this way the population at large can have access to knowledge and technology of advanced world without facing prohibitive costs. In its origin, it's a noble idea, as it is the origin of copyright laws.
The right to make a living out of effort and creativity is not a big corporation discourse. It's been used and abused by big corporation by the way they use their money and power to interpret laws... or even make them. They have the power of imposing their interpretation of the case, murder, suicide or accidental death, and this is what exactly doing the total lack of copyright law to creativity and renewal.

I believe that staying out of international copyright convention for Iran (and any other country) is harmful to their population. The first benefit of such adhesion may go directly to big corporations but the long term benefit of it is for the people of such countries. But we should think of copyright issue first as a notion and a value and not in terms of articles in the law. The laws should come after, based on these notions and values shared amongst the population. If those values aren't entrenched in social culture, the terms of the law only come up when we try to circumvent them!

I remember that the pop group Beetles stopped in Tehran for a concert during their world tour. An enthusiastic fan approached Paul McCartney and asked him to sign the cover of his 45 rms. vinyl disc. He looked at the disc and asked him "where did you get this from?" ... and the concert was cancelled!

Now Beetles never needed the royalty of that disc but how many local musician have suffered since in poverty while we all still listen to their works? You may think you can separate international from national but you can't. It's an all or nothing situation. Even fighting the power of big corporations will be more efficient if we join the international community (and international fight that's been going on) The question is whether you value the effort of a person (regardless of nationality) or you don't. If we want to talk about such issues, let's talk in terms of values and not in terms of law. Non of us is lawyer in here anyway.

Behnam