Dear Behdad:

You replied to me personally, so allow me to forward your message (below) to
the list as your question was apparently directed to all list members.

The interesting thing with www.babylon.com/... is that some of these Persian
dictionaries carry a copyright message, while others, specifically those
that use the name Aryanpur, do not. According to the introductory message,
the latter have been >>Presented by: Network and Information Center (NIC) of
the university of Isfahan. web site: www.ui.ac.ir [...]<< What does this
mean? Presented by whom? The lawful owners of the dictionary contents and of
the data? Presented to whom? To the "Public Domain"? This hypothesis seems
to be supported by the fact that www.babylon.com/gloss/glossaries.html
speaks of "Free Public Glossaries", but this goes of course with the implied
assumption that the people who "presented" these data has the legal capacity
to do so.

Lastly, does anyone know if an Aryanpur printed or electronic version has
ever been [re-]published in one of the signatory states of the Universal
Copyright Convention*, carrying an appropriate copyright message? Proving
this would be the only chance, IMO, to protect the original authors' rights
in the international theater.

Best regards,

Peter

*) see http://www.unesco.org/culture/laws/copyright/html_eng/state1952.shtml