On Sun, 9 May 2004, Omid K. Rad wrote:

> On Sun, 9 May 2004, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > Hi Omid,
>
> Hi,

Aleyke Hi,

> > A couple of points:  The Jalaali calendar, can you please
> > tell me in which of the ECMA standards is it defined?
>
> None. I don't agree with that name for our current calendar. It is the
> name Microsoft has selected. I believe 'Persian calendar' or 'Iranian
> calendar' is more correct (and known) for the international name of
> "Hejrie Shamsi".

Humm, good point.  I was worried about "Jalaali" being used
instead of "Jalali".  But now that you mention it, I almost
agree that one of Persian or Iranian calendar may suit better.
Well, we have the Gregorian and Julian calendar suggesting
"Jalali", and we have Chinese and Japanese suggesting "Iranian",
and we have Islamic and Hebrew calendars suggesting "Persian"!
Guys, can we decide on one once now?  Humm, after finishing the
sentence, I go back to vote for "Jalali"!  As it avoid binding
yet another meaning to the Persian/Iranian word, and we don't
have to go on tell everybody that this "Farsi Calendar" is the
same as the "Persian Calendar" or "Iranian Calendar", which in
turn used to be known as "Jalali Calendar" or "Jalaali Calendar"
by MS...  Poof, "Jalali Calendar" is such a cute name, not?

Oh, the main point, now that "Jalaali" is not in any standard
yet, perhaps you can request a name change from "Jalaali" to
"Jalali".  Of course it's just my personal suggestion.

later,
--behdad
  behdad.org