<<Iran Localization Info for Microsoft .NET>>

Hello every body, especially my friends at FarsiWeb,

I'm trying to point out some things here (even though you might already
know) about .NET and our project.

For your information:

The .NET Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) and the C# programming
language were submitted to ECMA and ISO/IEC International
standardization organizations a couple of years ago. The submissions
were ratified as standards after thorough investigations as:

Standard ECMA-334 (C#)
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-334.htm

Standard ECMA-335 (CLI)
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm

Standard ISO/IEC 23270 (C#)
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=36
768

Standard ISO/IEC 23271 (CLI)
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=36
769

This resulted in raising many new open source movements over .NET in the
ICT community, amongst which there are three major projects by third
parties that intend to implement versions of the .NET Framework
conforming to the base implementations that Microsoft has done or is
already underway. Those are:

The Ximian's Mono Project sponsored by UNIX
http://www.go-mono.com

Free Software Foundation's Portable .NET
http://www.dotgnu.org/pnet.html

Corel's Rotor (Microsoft SSCLI) for FreeBSD
http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/sscli

All of these implementations are published under noncommercial
shared-source licenses. This means we will have .NET applications
running on a vast number of platforms quite soon, to name a handful:
Linux, Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD, HP-UX, and Mac OS X. We have also a
choice of more than 20 programming languages to choose from: APL, COBOL,
Component Pascal, Eiffel, Fortran, Haskell, Jscript.NET, Mercury,
Oberon, Pascal, Perl, Python, Smalltalk, Visual Basic.NET, C# , Managed
C++, etc.

To make applications more interoperable between different platforms, all
of the implementations of CLI consider implementing the fundamental
namespaces in the .NET Framework Class Library that reflect closely to
what Microsoft releases. These don't include namespaces such as
Microsoft.*, yet include those that are referred to as pure .NET
namespaces which System.Globalization namespace is one of them.

The System.Globalization is also available in .NET Compact Framework - a
lighter version of the framework that installs on handheld devices.

In the "Iran Localization Info for Microsoft .NET" project (IranL10nInfo
for short) we have selected to work only on those parts of .NET that are
in the System.Globalization namespace (pure .NET). Any changes that
Microsoft mekes on them are indirectly ported to every non-Microsoft
implementations of the Class Library.

Moreover, this project will automatically produce a good layout of
information fields that we can simply use for other languages like Tajik
and Afghan.

So, we are trying to resolve some locale issues far beyond Microsoft - a
big name.

All the best,
Omid
      Iran Localization Info for Microsoft .NET
http://www.idevcenter.com/projects/iranl10ninfo/draft/

Other Open Source developments over ECMA CLI:

Intel Lab's OCL (Open CLI Library)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocl/

Platform.NET
http://sourceforge.net/projects/platformdotnet/

Articles:

Linux World - Bringing the CLI to Open Source (Article)
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/39216.htm?DE=1

Devx - Peeking under the Lid of Open Source .NET CLI Implementations
http://www.devx.com/devx/article/9725

Microsoft Open Source:

MSDN - ECMA Standardization
http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/ecma/

MSDN - The Common Language Infrastructure (CLI)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/using/understanding/cli

Microsoft Share Source Home Page:
http://www.microsoft.com/sharedsource/