On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 14:36, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Just trying to close an item in the long open agenda of the list.
> So we've reached a consensus on using "Iranian Calendar" for the
> term referring to the solar calendar in action in Tehran, right?

I don't know. I know that we can't reach consensus on other things, and
I also know that consensus doesn't matter that much here. As people
define consensus, it is like at least 75% of the talking part of the
community. Here, most of the community don't talk at all, and I'm sure
that if you take a poll, from those who vote some will still insist on
"Jalali", or "Solar Islamic", or "Hejri-e Khorshidi", or "Persian". They
will mention "personal preference" if you ask the reason. ;)

What we should look for, is clear and reasonable objection. There hasn't
been any such objection for "Iranian calendar".

> As for the rules, we at FarsiWeb have found enough evidence that
> the 2820-year periodic calendar of Birashk.

I didn't get you. Would you please reword?

My rewording of the FarsiWeb opinion is that the 2820-year Birashk
calendar is the best implementable arithmetic calendar. The law *is*
different and the practice *may be* different, but this is the best we
can find. The "showraa-ye aalie-e taghvim" (of the Islamic Republic of
Iran) holds the authority on the Iranian calendar, and they don't even
disclose the calendar of 1384 if you ask them to, let aside telling the
algorithm they use to anybody (which includes other governmental bodies,
like "saazmaan-e modiriat va barnaame-rizi-e keshvar" and "showraa-ye
aali-e anformaatik").

roozbeh