On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 22:10:24 +0430
"Ehsan Akhgari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]

> > I think you and the team I'm working with are trying to do
> > the same thing - it would be great if we could work together
> > and come up with a solution that anyone else can use too.
>
> I looked around a bit, and it seems like MySQL 4.1.x will be supporting
> UTF-8.  MySQL 4.0.x doesn't have that support (the version I'm using on
> the production server is 4.0.18-standard.)  Because of that,
> incorporating that support into MySQL might require a lot more work that
> I currently imagine. Unfortunately in that case, I'll have to leave MySQL
> as it is, and sort the data at the client site (less efficient, but
> requiring less development time), and since the application I'm working
> on doesn't store very big chunks of data in the db, I may decide to
> sacrifice performance for development time.

Right. I was thinking about adding UTF-8 Persian collation to MySql 4.1.x
- our project will involve a fairly large amount of data, so we'd like to
have the option of sorting at the DB level.

> > What's involved in creating a collation file? These two pages:
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Adding_character_set.html
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Character_arrays.html
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/String_collating.html
> > seem to say that's it's not too difficult, if you know what
> > you're doing?
> > (Which I dont. I'm just a humble PHP programmer)
>
> Well, that seems to be for single-byte code pages.  The Persian character
> coding system used in glibc is UTF-8, and that will require patching
> MySQL source code.  And like I said, because of MySQL's lack of UTF-8
> support, it might require more work that I imagine.  I think I can handle
> it from technical point of view (I'm good at C/C++) but I'm quite pressed
> in free time...

... which is why we're hoping to use MySql 4.1.x

> > ... it seems it would be great to create a mySql Persian
> > collation file rather than changing the source, with all the
> > problems that would lead to of having to re-patch the code
> > everytime there's a new MySql release? Or is that inevitable?
>
> Well, if we decide to change the MySQL source code, we can submit our
> patches to MySQL team, and hopefully they will incorporate it into their
> new releases.  Of course in that case we might have to look into adding
> that support to MySQL 4.1.x as well (if it already doesn't have.)  So
> there's no need for re-patching.  There's just a need for time!  :-)

Nope, no Persian collation file for MySql 4.1.x as far as I can see (which
is where we came in!)

> In case I decide not to spend the time in the development of Persian
> collation support in MySQL, I'll be glad to help your team in case they
> need technical programming help.  In that case, I'll let you know
> off-list(remind me if you don't get any note from me within a week,
> please.)

We may be in touch... :-)

Cheers

--