http://whidbey.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/T_System_Globalization_JalaaliCalendar.asp

At MSDN Whidbeyâs class library you read:

"The JalaaliCalendar class represents the Jalaali calendar. The Jalaali calendar is also known as the Persian calendar, or the solar Hijri calendar as opposed to the Arabic lunar Hijri calendar.

The Jalaali calendar is used in most countries where Farsi is spoken, although some regions use different month names. The Jalaali calendar is the official calendar of Iran and Afghanistan, and is one of the alternative calendars in regions such as Kurdish Mesopotamia, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan.

Dates in the Jalaali calendar start from the year of the Hijra, which corresponds to 622 C.E. and is the year when Mohammed migrated from Mecca to Medina. For example, the date March 21, 2002 C.E. corresponds to the first day of the month of Farvardeen in the year 1381 A.H.

The Jalaali calendar is based on a solar year and is approximately 365 days long. A year cycles through four seasons, and a new year begins when the sun appears to cross the equator from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere as viewed from the center of the Earth. The new year marks the first day of the month of Farvardeen, which in the northern hemisphere is the first day of spring.

Each of the first six months in the Jalaali calendar has 31 days, each of the next five months has 30 days, and the last month has 29 days in a common year and 30 days in a leap year. A leap year is a year that, when divided by 33, has a remainder of 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 22, 26, or 30. For example, the year 1370 is a leap year because dividing it by 33 yields a remainder of 17. There are approximately 8 leap years in every 33 year cycle."

Even though it gives a rather good briefing of the calendar, however some parts really need to be changed. Besides the name of the calendar that is still under debate, it seems to me that we have to start over discussing about the name of the language as well. Where do they speak Farsi?! I speak Persian. Another fault there is the era indication of "A.H". A.H. refers to Anno Hijae which marks a Hijri date. For Jalali (if named so) it would be A.P. which stands for Anno Persico or Anno Pesarum.

If you see any other points that need mentioning, please let me know. I am listing these points to make a feedback to MS. In the meantime you can make your own comments to MS through the email address at the bottom of the page linked above.

Thanks,

Omid K. Rad