Jack -

Silverfish in a large collection storage area often live in the cracks of the
expansion joints around the perimeter of the concrete slabs and where columns
meet the slab.  They also congregate on the underside of pallets.  The best
solution is to caulk the expansion joints.  I know this means a lot of work for
staff to move items away from the perimeter, but in the long run, it's a
permanent solution.

If you use flat, cardboard glueboards for monitoring, they will often
congregate under the glueboard.  I often find silverfish eating the printing
off the undersides of glueboards.  Here's a trick:  place a penny in the glue
on each corner and one in the center; then turn the glueboard upside-down.
You'll be surprised how well this works to trap silverfish, psocids, and
springtails.  That is, as long as no one steps on it.

I would not recommend the use of silica gel, such as Drione, out in the open.
It should be used in voids under cabinetry ranges, in electrical boxes, and in
pipe chases.  If you want to use a residual spray, use an encapsulated
formulation.  These types of formulations are insecticidally active for at
least 3 months.  Any number are registered for use against silverfish.  If you
use an emulsifiable concentrate, it will be sucked into the concrete and not be
available for the insect to contact it.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
President, Entomologist
Pest Control Services, Inc.