This is a message from the Pest Management Database List.

Hi Megan

The curator is right - the wool is very attractive to a range of insects including clothes moths and carpet beetles. The best approach is to ensure that all the wool to be used is frozen before it is installed. I would also re-freeze the wool every month or so as an added precaution (if it is going to be on display for an extended period).

Best wishes

Alex Roach

Megan Mcintosh wrote:

We are developing an exhibit about the woollen manufacturing industry at a small regional museum. We would like to include wool at various stages of development, starting with raw wool, to show to visitors how the machines process it. The curator is reluctant to use raw wool within the exhibit as someone told him a few years ago that it would attract pests, (though completed textile pieces are regularly displayed in the museum). Does anyone have advice on what could be done to treat raw wool so that it would not pose a threat to other artefacts in the space? If not, does anyone have ideas on how to realistically recreate wool?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Megan McIntosh (Student)

Algonquin College, Applied Museum Studies