Colleagues,

  I am trying to work on a procedure for treating bound paper materials that
have bedbugs.  We haven't had any confirmed sightings yet in materials, but
considering our State-wide problem I fear it is just a matter of time.  I've
seen plenty of good information related to facilities, but not a lot related to
caring for books that have been affected.  The most common quick quip is that
they should be "cooked" at temperatures around 140 degrees Fahrenheit for 2
hours.  I've not seen any indication what they are being cooked in.  There is a
device called Packtite that gets some mention on blogs, but not on any
conservation/preservation sites.  NEDCC, LOC, and Lyrasis sites don't have
anything yet either.  From what I've read freezing apparently doesn't kill the
egg stage.  My concern right now is the general circulating collection, so
freezing might be the only option for rare/unique materials....

  Has your institution started tackling this question?  Any help would be
appreciated!

Holly Prochaska
Head, Preservation Services
University of Cincinnati Libraries