From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of
Sharlane Gubkin
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:00 PM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: Re: [pestlist] pestlist question

To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
I use "sticky traps" which you can find on the Internet,with no poisons or
pheromones. I place them along the edges of the walls and in dark places where
I have seen them before.You can purchase them with pheromones  or without. The
traps that catch the highest number of silverfish will give you a better idea
of the general areas where they are coming from. Silverfish like heat, moisture
and high humidity, but I have seen them proliferate in a cooler room with 53%
humidity. There are other treatments such as a powder/dust called Diatomaceous
Earth that can be applied in cracks and along the baseboards that they ingest
and then causes their dehydratation and death, but some types have reportedly
been linked to cancer. Also Boric Acid can be used. I wouldn't use any of these
around children or pets. I am not an entomologist I hope others provide you
with additional feedback. If you do treat an area, you need to change and
regularly check the sticky traps to see if the treatment worked or if they
start up again later.
Good luck!

Here is general information about about silverfish:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/DK1018.html

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publications/epubs/eee_00005.cfm

Some Internet sources for non-poisonous sticky traps:
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/m256

http://www.bellenvironmentalstore.com/cittrial12.html

Boric Acid Treatment Products for Silverfish:
http://www.amazon.com/Dekko-Silverfish-Packs/dp/B001QXFAFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344345197&sr=8-1&keywords=silver+fish+trap

http://www.amazon.com/Answer-360-Boric-Acid-Insecticidal/dp/B000HMCAAO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344345949&sr=8-6&keywords=silver+fish+trap

Best, Sharlane Gubkin
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:21 AM, suneel joshi