Amy,
While I agree for the most part with Tom, Gretchen and Pat, soft-bodied insects
will not necessarily dry up and die if you increase the temperature and
decrease the RH.  This would certainly work if materials are in cases,
containers, boxes, isolated rooms, etc. Sealing (as Tom noted) is key to
restrict movement from areas of poor condition to better condition; from foci
of infestations to other places such as commodities, containers, cases, closets
or rooms.
These insects do have legs and are able to crawl or stay in more hospitable
places and not stay where conditions are less favorable.  If a reservoir
population exists within the walls, the microclimate conditions are not
deleterious to their lives, but those in your storage case collections are.
Here is where sealing comes into play.  You are managing the populations this
way, but not totally exterminating them.
I remember a psocid researcher told me that under excessively dry conditions
certain booklice will dry up, but when conditions are more hospitable and RH
increases, the insect will "wake up" and not really be dead.
Lou

Louis N. Sorkin, B.C.E.
Entomologist, Arachnologist
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, New York 10024-5192
sor...@amnh.org<mailto:sor...@amnh.org>
212-769-5613 voice
212-769-5277 fax

The New York Entomological Society, Inc.
www.nyentsoc.org<http://www.nyentsoc.org/>
n...@amnh.org<mailto:n...@amnh.org>