From: Neil Carey <dr.neil.ca...@gmail.com>
To: pestlist <pestlist@museumpests.net>
Sent: Fri, May 10, 2013 5:04 am
Subject: Re: [pestlist] ID & freezer question

Annie,

Last August we discovered a webbing clothes moth infestation in the African
collection. With over 200 objects a lab freezer was out of the question, though
a used Revco or Fisher Scientific freezer would be perfect for small groups of
items needing treatment.

I had an 8' x 20' walk-in freezer delivered from a nationwide company. They
dropped it off in the driveway. I needed to provide 230 volts. It took a week
to wrap, double bag and heat seal all items. Meanwhile, the freezer was getting
cold in the hot, humid Amherst summer.

Although only rated down to -20 C, the temps actually ran around -33 C. During
12 hour defrosts, the temps rose to only about -23C. I placed 2 inexpensive USB
data recorders in the freezer, plus a wireless Temp/RH monitor with an alarm
set for -20. I've attached a graph below.

The objects were frozen for about 2 weeks, much longer than needed.

This setup would be perfect for immediate and occasional needs for large
collections. For frequent usage, purchase makes more sense than rental.

Neil Carey