Dienerella is also occasionally found infesting HVAC ductwork. Typically, they
will infest fungus fields growing in ducts with internal insulation. Usually
the infestation is just downstream of the discharge plenum. I have dealt with
this frequently in hospitals, hotels, condominiums and office buildings around
the country. In all cases I can recall the condition was a result of the
failure to keep the chilling coils clean along with the use of internally
insulated ducts (which in some environments is a code violation). This results
in liquid water forming on the coils in large enough drops to be blown off the
coils and onto the insulation creating ideal conditions for fungal growth. In
my experience, this results in 1 or 2 significant events per year where the
adult beetles are discharged from the HVAC registers in large numbers where
they collect in corners, along window sills, on glue boards or patient bedding.

Jeffrey Tucker, BCE
Entomology Associates, Inc.
P.O. Box 70375
Houston, Texas 77270