Bernice

They are most likely carpenter ants. From my experience, they do swarm for one
day, although it is usually the first really warm day in the spring, at least
in Vermont. Then they disappear for another year. If they swarm inside a
historic house, yes, you need to worry. It most likely means that they have a
nest in the wood in the house. They do not get nourishment from the wood so
they are not as destructive as termites, but they do build nests, and if they
are swarming in the house, they probably have an established nest that could
weaken the wood in that area of the building.

Look for damp areas of wood, most likely around the sills. Any place water
comes off the roof, hits the ground, and splashes back against the sill? Or
perhaps wood under a sink where there could be a leak. Have you seen any of
these ants occasionally wandering around the house? If so, examine the sills of
the building near where you have seen the ants. On a quiet day, you may even be
able to hear them chewing.

We have had carpenter ants in several buildings. They actually damaged the end
of the logs on a log building over a 50-year period to such an extent that we
had to take the structure down an build a new one. You need to have pest
control folks find the nest and knock it out with the appropriate insecticide.
Then remove and replace the damaged wood. I have never seen carpenter ants
infest or harm any wooden artifacts. Powder post beetles yes, but not carpenter
ants. That does not mean they could not cause harm, but it would have to be a
pretty damp piece of furniture.

Rick

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT   05482
(802) 985-0895
rkersch...@shelburnemuseum.org

Opening May 12: Larger than Life: Quilts by Velda
Newman<http://shelburnemuseum.org/exhibitions/larger-than-life-quilts-by-velda-newman/>;
  Opening June 22: Wyeth
Vertigo<http://shelburnemuseum.org/exhibitions/wyeth-vertigo/>. Opening Fall
2013: The Center for Art and