Dear Tamar,

Thank you for your question, I went to check back to my files and found no
reasons to wonder as feather if I am not wrong are mainly Keratin based.
As Keratin is clearly a good part of furs as well, I will definitely see no
reasons why it should be acceptable on furs and not on feather.
If I understood correctly, we are talking about backing inside and in no
circumstances powdering the outside of the skins or feathers.
Your concern of drying may be more related to general RH fluctuation stress
rather than the root causes of using borax, but it is certainly worth looking
further.
You may want to check this ref : "The organic chemistry of museum objects",
John S. Mills & Raymond White, Butterworths, 1987, London.

Best wishes,

David Cottier-Angeli
Associated Member of the Swiss Chamber of Technical and Scientific Forensic
Experts
CottierMetal
Genève
Tel. +4122 300 1955