From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of Betsy
Bruemmer
Sent: Tuesday, 11 March 2014 6:48 AM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: [pestlist] beetle or millipede?

To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
We had a recent invasion of small pests that I am having difficulty
identifying. I thought they were carpet beetle larvae but an entomologist on
bugguide.net has suggested bristle millipede. They were found crawling all over
a white wall in a textile storage room, following a water leak through the
exterior wall. We have in the past found old dried up dermestid casings on some
of our textiles but we don't know if the textiles came in that way or if the
evidence is due to recent activity. It's a huge collection that is just now
being properly catalogued. There is surprisingly small amount of damage to the
textiles overall so it seems more likely to me that these larvae came in
through the leaky building envelope. The images for both these pests are quite
similar, however, millipedes are not usually mentioned as museum pests and we
have not seen adult millipedes to date but we did find one carpet beetle last
year. Thanks for your help.

BETSY bruemmer
collections manager

MOHAI Resource Center
5933 6th Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98108
P: 206.324.1126 Ext. 122  |  F: 206.780.1533
betsy.bruem...@mohai.org<mailto:betsy.bruem...@mohai.org>

www.mohai.org<http://www.mohai.org>

[cid:image002.png@01CEB874.6C8EAD50]

Explore the people and events that made this city and changed the world, at the
new Bezos Center for Innovation, now open at MOHAI!

email to imail...@museumpests.net<mailto:imail...@museumpests.net> with this
command in the body:

set mode digest pestlist

Any problems email l...@collectionpests.com<mailto:l...@collectionpests.com> or
l...@zaks.com<mailto:l...@zaks.com>

This e-mail and files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential
information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or
privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been
transmitted to you in error. If you received this e-mail in error you must (a)
not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) please notify
the Department of Agriculture and Food, WA immediately by return e-mail to the
sender; (c) please delete the original e-mail. Department of Agriculture and
Food WA